IRS Tax TipsJuly 17, 2023

Useful Links:

Help For Hurricane Victims

News Essentials

What’s Hot

News Releases

IRS – The Basics

IRS Guidance

Media Contacts

Facts & Figures

Around The Nation

e-News Subscriptions

The Newsroom Topics

Multimedia Center

Noticias en Español

Radio PSAs

Tax Scams/Consumer Alerts

The Tax Gap

Fact Sheets

IRS Tax Tips

Armed Forces

Latest News

IRS Resources

Contact Your Local IRS Office

Filing Your Taxes

Forms & Instructions

Frequently Asked Questions

Taxpayer Advocate Service

Where to File

IRS Social Media

Issue Number: Tax Tip 2023-90

Summertime activities that might affect people’s tax return next year

For many people, summertime means change. Whether it’s a life change like a marriage or a typical summer event – like sending the kids to camp – things people do in summer could affect their income taxes. Here are a few summertime activities and tips on how taxpayers should consider them during filing season.

Getting married
Wedding season is upon us and newlyweds can make tax filing easier by doing a few simple things. First, report any name change to the Social Security Administration. Next, notify the United States Postal Service, employers, and the IRS of any address change. To officially change their mailing address with the IRS, taxpayers must compete Form 8822, Change of Address, and mail it to the correct address for their area. See page 2 of the form for detailed instructions. Making these changes as soon as they happen will help make filing their tax return easier.

Sending kids to summer camp
If a taxpayer is sending a child to summer camp, the cost may count toward the Child and Dependent Care Credit.

Traveling for business
Kids may have the summer off, but parents generally don’t. Business travel happens year-round. Tax deductions are available for certain people who travel away from their home or main place of work for business reasons. Whether a business traveler is away for a few nights or all summer long, it is important for them to remember the rules related to business travel.

Working part time
While summertime and part-time workers may not earn enough to owe federal income tax, they should file a tax return to get any refund they may be owed. Part-time and seasonal workers can visit to learn more about who should file a tax return. Some taxpayers earn summer income as a gig economy worker. These workers are encouraged to visit the Gig Economy Tax Center at to learn how participating in the gig economy can affect their taxes. If taxpayers are paid through payment apps and receive more than $600, they may receive an IRS Form 1099-K reporting their earnings. For more information, go to

Home improvements
Nothing says summertime quite like a honey-do list of around-the-house projects. The IRS has information to help taxpayers take advantage of potential tax benefits for some home improvements. If taxpayers make qualified energy-efficient improvements to their home after Jan. 1, 2023, they may qualify for a tax credit up to $3,200. They can claim the credit for improvements made through 2032. Taxpayers are encouraged to visit the Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit page of to learn more.

If taxpayers make energy improvements to their home, tax credits are available for a portion of qualifying expenses. The credit amounts and types of qualifying expenses were expanded by the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. These types of projects include Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit for things like water heaters, exterior windows and doors, and heating and air conditioning installations. Residential Clean Energy Credits are available for taxpayers who install solar, wind and geothermal power generation; solar water heaters; or fuel cells and battery storage.

Back to top

FaceBook Logo  YouTube Logo  Instagram Logo  Twitter Logo  LinkedIn Logo

Thank you for subscribing to IRS Tax Tips, an IRS e-mail service. For more information on federal taxes please visit

This message was distributed automatically from the IRS Tax Tips mailing list. Please Do Not Reply To This Message.

This email was sent to by: Internal Revenue Service (IRS) · Internal Revenue Service · 1111 Constitution Ave. N.W. · Washington DC 20535GovDelivery logo