IRS Tax TipsOctober 10, 2023

Useful Links:

Help For Hurricane Victims

News Essentials

What’s Hot

News Releases

IRS – The Basics

IRS Guidance

Media Contacts

Facts & Figures

Around The Nation

e-News Subscriptions

The Newsroom Topics

Multimedia Center

Noticias en Español

Radio PSAs

Tax Scams/Consumer Alerts

The Tax Gap

Fact Sheets

IRS Tax Tips

Armed Forces

Latest News

IRS Resources

Contact Your Local IRS Office

Filing Your Taxes

Forms & Instructions

Frequently Asked Questions

Taxpayer Advocate Service

Where to File

IRS Social Media

Issue Number: Tax Tip 2023-117

IRS reminds extension filers to have all their info before visiting a tax professional

The deadline is around the corner for taxpayers with an extension to file. It’s important for taxpayers to gather all their records and get copies of any missing documents before they sit down to prepare their return, and taxpayers who use a professional tax preparer should make sure they have all their information ready before their appointment. This helps them file a complete and accurate tax return.

Here’s the information taxpayers may need. Not all information applies to all taxpayers.

  • Social Security numbers of everyone listed on the tax return. 
  • Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit or information to make a tax payment.
  • Forms W-2 from employer(s).
  • Forms 1099 from banks, issuing agencies and other payers including unemployment compensation, dividends, distributions from a pension, annuity or retirement plan.
  • Form 1099-K, 1099-MISC, W-2 or other income statement for workers in the gig economy.
  • Form 1099-INT for interest received.
  • Other income documents and records of virtual currency transactions.
  • Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement.
  • Information to support claiming other credits or deductions such as receipts for child or dependent care, college expenses or donations.

Missing documents: What taxpayers should do
To request a missing W-2 or Form 1099, taxpayers should contact the employer, payer or issuing agency. This also applies for taxpayers who received an incorrect W-2 or Form 1099.

If they still can’t get the forms, taxpayers can complete Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. If a taxpayer doesn’t receive the missing or correct form in time to file their tax return, they can estimate the wages or payments made to them and any taxes withheld. They can use Form 4852 to report this information on their federal tax return.

Find an authorized e-file provider
For help finding a tax professional, taxpayers can use the Authorized IRS e-file Provider Locator Service. This is a nationwide listing of all businesses that the IRS has authorized as an IRS e-file provider. They’re qualified to prepare, transmit and process e-filed returns.

Back to top

FaceBook Logo  YouTube Logo  Instagram Logo  Twitter Logo  LinkedIn Logo

Thank you for subscribing to IRS Tax Tips, an IRS e-mail service. For more information on federal taxes please visit

This message was distributed automatically from the IRS Tax Tips mailing list. Please Do Not Reply To This Message.

This email was sent to by: Internal Revenue Service (IRS) · Internal Revenue Service · 1111 Constitution Ave. N.W. · Washington DC 20535GovDelivery logo